Wednesday, October 31, 2012

7 Things that frighten me

I have no problem with spiders, nor am I afraid of heights, but here are 10 things that scare the bejabbers out of me:

1. Snakes - So menacing! So prehistoric!

2. Zealots of both Right and Left – political and religious – who are so certain of their righteousness that they can’t begin to get beyond their fanaticism.

3. My own moodiness – there are times when I seem to become a stranger to myself.

4. Tight dark spaces. I don’t think of myself as especially claustrophobic, but I hate being confined in small and narrow places.

5. I worry all the time that I will grow into a bitter and resentful old person. I want to be one of those gentle and generous wisdom figures, but I fear my grumpiness, anxiety and selfishness might get the better of me.

6. I fear that by my actions, or inaction, at times I have not only failed to love, but have done serious and lasting harm to others.

7. My deepest fear is that I am continually failing to see the faces and traces of God all around me.

What are some of the things that terrify you?

No comments: