I have no problem with spiders, nor am I afraid of heights, but here are 10 things that scare the bejabbers out of me:
1. Snakes - So menacing! So prehistoric!
2. Zealots of both Right and Left – political and religious – who are so certain of their righteousness that they can’t begin to get beyond their fanaticism.
3. My own moodiness – there are times when I seem to become a stranger to myself.
4. Tight dark spaces. I don’t think of myself as especially claustrophobic, but I hate being confined in small and narrow places.
5. I worry all the time that I will grow into a bitter and resentful old person. I want to be one of those gentle and generous wisdom figures, but I fear my grumpiness, anxiety and selfishness might get the better of me.
6. I fear that by my actions, or inaction, at times I have not only failed to love, but have done serious and lasting harm to others.
7. My deepest fear is that I am continually failing to see the faces and traces of God all around me.
What are some of the things that terrify you?