My family has been making this soup for years. Hope all of you enjoy it as much as I do!
Vegetable Soup with Lime and Avocado
Serves four to six.
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-rounds
8 ounces green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
6 cups of chicken stock
1/4 cup corn
2 teaspoons chilpotle chilies, minced
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
cilantro leaves, for garnish
6 wedges lime
- Warm the oil in a soup pot, add onion, garlic, oregano, and salt, and cook over medium-low heat until the onion softens.
- Add the carrots, beans, and tomatoes; pour in the heated stock and simmer.
- After 20 minutes add the corn and then gradually stir in the chilpotle chilies to taste.
- Cook another 5 minutes; then taste for salt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls; garnish with the avocado and cilantro leaves. Serve the lime on the side.
Recipe adapted from The Greens Cook Book // Photo by Caitlin Flemming