Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Sunday of the Octave of Easter and Divine Mercy Sunday


Today, the Second Sunday of Easter, is also known as Divine Mercy Sunday. In the 1930’s Jesus appeared to a Polish nun, now known as St. Faustina, and told her to promote this designation and to have an image painted that showed red and white rays coming from the center of his chest, and the words, “Jesus, I trust in You.” The rays remind us of the red blood and clear water or fluid that St. John says came out of Jesus’ Heart when it was pierced on the cross. They are a symbol of his mercy. Jesus—his death and resurrection, the mercy pouring forth from his pierced heart—is our hope, the only hope for humanity. Let us draw near to this Heart of Mercy. In our prayer today let us take all humanity with us to that Heart which is the source of Divine Mercy. Let us pray in particular that Divine Mercy may touch the hearts of young people so that they will want to return love for love and follow Christ in a religious vocation. May Divine Mercy also touch the people of Africa and give them the hope that only Christ can give. Our prayer is from #1074 and #1076 of St. Faustina’s Diary where she records Jesus’ words to her.

My beloved daughter, write down these words. …Tell the world about My mercy and My love. The flames of mercy are burning me. I desire to pour them out upon human souls. Oh, what pain they cause Me when they do not want to accept them! My daughter, do whatever is within your power to spread devotion to My mercy. I will make up for what you lack. Tell aching mankind to snuggle close to My merciful Heart, and I will fill it with peace. Tell [all people] that I am Love and Mercy itself. When a soul approaches Me with trust, I fill it with such an abundance of graces that it cannot contain them within itself, but radiates them to other souls.

Write this: Everything that exists is enclosed in the bowels of My mercy, more deeply than an infant in its mother’s womb. How painfully distrust of My goodness wounds Me! Sins of distrust wound Me most painfully.

No comments: