Saturday, May 29, 2010

MARY SAID “YES”

On this last Saturday in the month of May, Mary’s month, and as we prepare for the feast of the Most Holy Trinity tomorrow, let us reflect today on the intimate relationship that Mary had with God, and with each Person of the Holy Trinity. First of all, like all of us, humans made in the image and likeness of God, Mary is a child of God. She is the beloved daughter of God the Father whom the Father chose from all eternity to be the Mother of His only begotten Son. Mary said “yes” to the Father’s plan and at that moment Mary became the Mother of God the Son, the Mother of Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity. How did this happen? Through the action of the Holy Spirit. The Gospel of Luke says that the Angel Gabriel gave to Mary the following answer to her question about how she could be a mother: “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.” Thus, Mary can truly be called the Spouse of the Holy Spirit since it was through the action of the Spirit and not any human husband that she conceived Jesus.

The following prayer is an act of consecration to our Lady of the Blessed Trinity that was first officially approved by Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York in 1963. As we pray it today, let us renew our daily offering for the salvation of souls and the Holy Father’s monthly intentions.

With all my heart I praise you, Most Holy Virgin, above all angels and saints in paradise, Daughter of the Eternal Father, and I consecrate to you my soul with all its faculties.

With all my heart I praise you, Most Holy Virgin, above all angels and saints in paradise, beloved Mother of the Son of God. I consecrate to you my body with all its senses.

With all my heart I praise you, Most Holy Virgin, above all angels and saints in paradise, beloved Spouse of the Holy Spirit. I consecrate to you my heart with all its affections and beseech you to obtain for me from the Most Holy Trinity all the graces necessary for Salvation. Amen.

No comments: