Saturday, August 22, 2009

I Love Chocolate

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! Lucy Van Pelt (in Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz) I love chocolate, just like the lady who told the waitress, "I would like 'Death By Chocolate' for dessert but just enough to put me in a critical condition." I am not alone in my passion. A new survey has shown that nine out of ten people love chocolate. The tenth is a liar. The truth is that chocolate reduces your risk of dying from heart diseases. According to an AFP report, heart attack survivors who eat chocolate two or more times per week cut their risk of dying from heart disease about threefold compared to those who never touch the stuff. A study in the September issue of the Journal of Internal Medicine by Imre Janszky of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm and Dr.Kenneth Mukamal, a researcher at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston is the first to demonstrate that consuming chocolate can help to keep alive persons who have suffered from heart attacks. "It was specific to chocolate-we found no benefit to sweets in general,'' said Dr Mukamal. My thoughts exactly, I now have even more reason to love chocolate. Studies have suggested that the brain of a person in love contains large quantities of phenylethylamine, a chemical that produces an amphetamine-like high. Chocolate also contains a lot of phenylethylamine. This therefore suggests that people like chocolate so much because it makes them feel like they're in love. Additionally it explains why there is no organization called "Chocolate Anonymous.'' Nobody wants to quit. To illustrate the irresistibility of chocolate, I want to tell you the story of Douglas. While walking in the woods Douglas saw a young fairy who had fallen into the river and bravely dived in to rescue her. In gratitude the fairy granted Douglas three wishes. He wished for a huge pile of gold, and "poof'' there it was. Then he wished for a huge palace, again "poof'' and there it was. Finally he wished he could be irresistible to all women. There was a blinding flash, a mighty roar and "poof'' he turned into a box of chocolates. If that was not mysterious enough, there is the math and the aftermath. How could a two-pound box of chocolate make us gain five pounds? Chocolate quotes "Nobody knows the truffles I've seen" "If I eat equal amounts of light and dark chocolate is that a balanced diet?" There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE Linda Grayson, "The Pickwick Papers" I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter. Chocolate doesn't make the world go around ... but it certainly makes the ride worthwhile!

No comments: