Wednesday, August 19, 2009

God's Love is Unfair

What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money? Are you envious because I am generous? Matthew 20:14-15 THE PARABLE OF THE WORKER in the vineyard always makes me uncomfortable.Sometimes even mad. I want to say to Jesus, "You mean those who worked only a few minutes in the vineyard get the same wages as those who slaved all day in the hot sun?" I want to protest, "It's not fair!" Of course it isn't fair. That's the whole point. God's love is essentially unfair. Rather, it is gratuitous, bounteous, magnanimous. God lavishes love upon young and old, saint and sinner, cradle Catholic and death bed convert. How can I be angry when I myself rely upon the "unfairness" of God's love for my life and salvation? Extravagant God, help me to lavish my love upon others today-especially upon those who seem undeserving, just as you lavish your love upon me. Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D. for Living Faith

No comments: