Sunday, August 16, 2009

The body of Christ and the Holy Scriptures are essential to the faithful soul

There are two things I find essential in this life, and without them this wretched existence would be unbearable. As long as I am detained in the prison of the body I need two things, and they are light and food. Therefore you have given your holy body to strengthen my weak mind and body, and you have given your word for a lamp to guide my feet. Without these two things I cannot live as I ought, for the word of God is the light of my soul and your Sacrament the bread that gives me life. They are like two tables, one on this side and one on that in the treasure-house of the holy Church. One table is the sacred altar with the holy bread, the precious body of Christ. The other is the Law of God containing the holy doctrine, which teaches us the true faith and leads us unfalteringly to that inner sanctuary beyond the veil. The Imitation of Christ – Thomas a Kempis – Book 4: Chapter XI

No comments: